Welcome to Joechao's blog

I am just an enthusiast. Don't feel too bad if my unprofessional comments make you angry.

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Poincaré conjecture #2

Following up the story of the Poincaré conjecture, I read the info of another math genius 31-year-old Terence Tao, a Fields Medalist of 2006. He got his Ph.D. at the age of 20 from Princeton, promoted to full professor at the age of 24 at UCLA, has written 80+ journal papers. To common people like me, he became famous because of the Fields Medal. Truely amazing!

Then, how do I know Fields Medal? That is because Grigory Perelman, the mathematician who outperformed other geniuses by proving Poincaré conjecture, refused the medal and dramatically walked away from the math community. Sometimes awards make people famous, occasionally a person makes an award famous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home