Welcome to Joechao's blog

I am just an enthusiast. Don't feel too bad if my unprofessional comments make you angry.

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Asteroid impact scenario

Sometimes I feel my research doesn't have high impact. It is absolutely true comparing with this report on asteroid impact: Asteroid impact scenario. A big asteroid might kill more people if it hits sea than land. The death toll due to an asteroid-resulted tsunami could easily outrun the 2004 South Asia tsunami. There are simulated impact animations for reference. A 300-m asteroid can create a water cavity of ~8 km diameter, 3 km depth depending on impact location. They estimate such impacts happen much frequent than I thought, every 5880 years, suspiciously just longer than our written history. BTW, Santa Cruz is a great place to study big waves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home